Days before Bundesliga season is set to restart from Saturday, May 16, confirmation of Covid-19 new cases in second division club Dynamo Dresden threaten to derail the resumption schedule of the German profession football league.
The league organising body Deutsche Fussball Liga is, however, determined to finish the season.
The club was scheduled to return to action on Sunday with an away game against Hanover 96. The travel plans to Lower Saxony have now been scrapped as the entire team, including the coaching and support staff, has been quarantined.
The club had conducted tests on Friday last, May 8. Two of the samples were confirmed positive. Both the players so far have been asymptomatic.
The club in a Press statement confirmed that Due to the quarantine measures, the SGD will not be able to travel to Lower Saxony for the away game on match-day 26 as planned.
“At a press conference on Thursday, the DFL (had) informed that SG Dynamo Dresden would resume the season on May 17 with an away game at Hannover 96.”
Meanwhile, Deutsche Fussball Liga chief executive Christian Seifert has said that the development is not at all unexpected. “We said from the beginning that this is something we have to be prepared for,” said Seifert.