Sourav Ganguly is prepared to leave the office of the president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India. But only if the Supreme Court says so, the BCCI president has told Outlook.
So the BCCI president Ganguly and secretary Jay Shah will continue to be in their respective positions at least till the time the matter is taken up by the Apex Court.
The Supreme Court was expected to take up the Board of Control for Cricket in India application today. But it wasn’t even listed in the cause list for the day.
Technically the matter cannot even be called subjudice unless the court has accepted the application.
As per the BCCI constitution, both Ganguly and Shah have completed their present tenure in the board. Both still continue to function on the mere strength of the BCCI application to seek the Supreme Court nod for amendment in the constitution.
The BCCI Executive in December last year had resolved to amend the board constitution so as to the president and the secretary could serve for three years upon their election.
Technically Shah’s tenure in the BCCI was over in May and Ganguly had July 27 as his last day in the BCCI president’s position. Both are delivering their duties with full power.
Ganguly, however, says that he had no intention to overstay in the BCCI. “We have appealed will see how it goes and if the court tells us to go, the matter ends there for me and Jay (Shah),” the former Indian captain told Outlook in an exclusive chat.
Ganguly also sees nothing wrong with the BCCI going to the Court.
“Everybody has an opportunity to go to the court. We could be right, wrong, good or bad, everyone can appeal to the highest body in the country. If they (the judges) allow, you stay or if they don’t, you just go…it’s as simple as that,” said Ganguly.
The present scenario, where the court matters are being heard virtually, has given Ganguly and Shah a long rope and bigger hope.